Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Buggy Life

Yesterday evening I walked around to the back of the house in the cool darkness.

"Shaun, can you turn on the light back here?" I call.

A moment later the dim light around our porch flickers, and I go to the washing machine to collect some clothes.  On the way there I run into this large, brown bug... yep, you got it, a cockroach.  Fortunately here they have been few and far between.

It made me think that to give you a clear understanding about how bugs invade every aspect of our life here, I'd retrace some of my steps throughout the day and get down in the dirt.

So at three this morning, I wake up to Hazel lying beside me.  Who knows why.... I apparently sleep through it, but it probably ranged from "I'm cold/hot" to "I have a sore toe" to "I had a bad dream."  I roll out of bed onto my sandals.  Yes, I keep them beside my bed.  You don't want to step on a bug in the dark.  I go to tuck Hazel back in her bed (we only have double beds here, so you can imagine having a child or two crawl in with you is not overly comfortable).  On the way back to our room, I make a pit stop at the bathroom.  I check inside the toilet and notice an ant climbing around inside.  Definitely not the first time this has happened.  Always check inside the toilets before you sit down.  I kill it before I make use of the toilet.  As I sit there I notice a number of these ants scurrying around.  These type are slightly bigger and do not walk in a line, taking stuff away to their far off anthill.  They always seem a bit aimless and I'm never sure what they are doing.  But they come out at night and I'm leaning towards the belief that they are a type of termite.

I came to that conclusion a few days back when I opened a window on our wooden front door and underneath was a pile of these type.  I noticed a couple carrying eggs.   The door is weaker in spots and I'm pretty sure they are eating away whatever wood we have in this house.

Anyways, I crawl back into bed and wake up bleary-eyed to get the kids off to school.  Flies buzz around the breakfast table.  This is Shaun's pet peeve.  Mine is the mosquitoes.  We "electrocute" with our mosquito-killing electric badminton racket around the doors, windows, and above dark shelves and bags before we get going for the day.  

The last few days we have seen "dengue" mosquitoes.  These are mosquitoes with black and white striped legs.  Dengue mosquitoes do not necessarily have dengue, but it is only this variety that can carry the disease.  The interesting thing is, these mosquitoes are ones that bite during the day.  We attribute it to the pool at the house across the street, which a family from Recife comes and uses sometimes on holidays and weekends.  It is full of dirty water.  Shaun sends Seth over the wall to pull the plug on the pool.  Hopefully that will eliminate some of the peskies.

After the kids get off to school (at a leisurely 7 a.m.), I do my at least once daily load of laundry.  The area by the washing machine outside is dark and shaded, and therefore full of mosquitoes resting by this time of day.  As I go to take down and fold the load from yesterday, I see a shadow of something between a sheet.  I bravely move the top layer aside, praying silently that it is not too disgusting of a bug.  Phewf!  Just a locust.  These are very large green "grasshoppers."

In the heat of the day (starting at around 8 in the morning and ending around.... never....) the bugs seem to rest a bit.  Except for the regular suspects: ants.  There are ants in the sugar.  How many we've accidentally eaten I can not be sure of, but they are teeny tiny ones with clear back ends.  As we walk around our beautiful veranda, there are piles of dirt every morning along the cracks in the tiles and against the house.  Our house's foundation is slowly being eaten away.  These are mostly a smaller black ant.  And they bite.  We can't rest on the steps in front of our house because there's a anthole of these type located nearby, and they bite as they explore.  It's not a matter of sitting still and they'll leave you alone.  Oh, no, they nibble on everything.  And it hurts!  We have these under our clotheslines as well, which definitely encourages quick "hanging-upping."

The next most consistent part of our day is shutting our back door around 4 p.m., which has reduced the mosquitoes entering our house in the early evening.  We get the kids off to bed, and sit at the table for as long as we can handle the mosquitoes on our hot legs.  Then a refreshing cold shower and off to bed we go, checking the kids rooms once more for mosquitoes before we head to bed.

There's a few more instances of bug sightings, however, I'd be exaggerating to say that it all happens in a day.  However, there's the large moths here and there, wee little spiders (similar to the farmhouse we lived in back in Cloverdale), small grubs and grasshoppers, little juninho beetles (similar to lady bugs), and much much more that I can't really describe.  You'll just have to come see it yourself!

Now if you think this is bad (or maybe you think this sounds like nothing) don't be alarmed.  We have become so used to the ants on the ground we hardly notice, and the mosquitoes have been controlled to the point of barely there....  And on the plus side, we don't even jump when something lands on our arm, we just calmly brush it aside.  However, if it's something flying around I can't say that I don't duck and scream just a little.

Next post:  miscellaneous reptiles, mammals, and unidentified vermin....

4 comments:

  1. Oh...I love it as it brings back so many memories. I did finally keep the ants out of the sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to come home.... Im not coming to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the memories! What about frogs ... the little jumpy kind with the suction-cup feet, that hang out in the bathroom ... have you had any of those yet? You quickly learn to shower with one eye open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a few little frogs around the house here and there, but none living in our bathroom fortunately. However, we went to church in Barra Grande for the first time at the beginning of March, and I went with Lyla to the bathroom. For some reason I flushed the toilet first and a frog jumped out at me! I moved my foot right before it landed on it. Lyla and then I both did our business, and I was feeling grateful I had flushed the toilet before-hand, cringing at the thought of a frog jumping up at us while on the toilet. After, I flushed the toilet again... and TWO more jumped out! I'm surprised no one in the church apparently heard my scream! Now I make everyone go to the bathroom before we head to church :)

      Delete