Sunday, October 27, 2013

This and That

Well, I know all of you are dying for an update on Jonas, and for a multitude of pictures.  After all, he is one of the four cutest babies ever born.  At least until he gets into the awkward phase of cheeks down to his shoulders and double chins galore (I guess that would mean it isn't a double chin... but I digress).  Of course we all know babies are adorable to their parents, so please give me the luxury of believing he is the most delightful thing on the planet right now.


Our midwives came Day 1, 3, and 7 after Jonas was born.  When he was born he weighed 3690 grams.  Because as Canadians we technically use the metric system, especially as a nurse I should have an idea in my head of what that means.  However in life and practice, we speak in pounds and ounces.  It is a very strange thing.  So we "translated" it into 8.1 lbs.  I realized later this does not mean 8lbs 1 oz, but if anyone cares it actually is 8 lbs 2 oz.  So when they came back on Day 7 he weighed 3915 grams.  If I converted that correctly it means 8lbs 10oz, so an 8oz weight gain in his first week.  I was not kidding above when I said he would end up with funny looking triple chins.



We had fun putting him in a doll bed.  Does he not have the biggest "outie" in the world?


We didn't have a vehicle for 4 days this week and started running out of food, so Shaun has been trying different bread recipes.  He has been talking about it for a long time so this gave him the incentive.  The bread above is even twisted artistically.


A couple days ago we noticed Hazel had a little fringe of bangs.  You would think an 8-year-old would know better than to cut his sisters' hair.  That's right, it was Seth.  And he cut Hazel and Lyla's hair, and then they hid it behind a bookcase.  Fortunately on Lyla you can't tell and Hazel's is fairly minor.  You can see it in the picture below.


No one has gotten sick of trying to hold baby Jonas.  I will forever be hearing Lyla's voice whenever Jonas cries: "It's okay, baby, Mother's here."  Where has she ever heard us using the word mother even?  But it is super cute.


The kids have been waking up way too early, in part because the sun is rising around 5 in the morning.


Even his feet are cute!


"But I like to hold him when he's crying, Mom!"


A typical find in our house.  In other animal news, we are down from 5-10 cockroaches a day to around 1 a week.  This is exciting because at one point in my pregnancy when I was up every hour to use the bathroom I was having nightmares about cockroaches.  Now although I still have sandals beside my bed to walk to Jonas, I am fairly confident I won't step on one.  


Seth went to catch a lizard by it's tail.  Yep, it fell off in his hand.  And did you know they wiggle for a long time after they fall off?  Also, it was covered in ants eating it within a half hour and Hazel thought she had to rescue it and bring it into our house.  I explained it is an interesting thing to observe outside of the house.

So there's a few happenings in our life.

Another exciting thing is that during the trip to Maragogi the week he was born we found a place to live in!  It even has a bit of land around it, which is really exciting and we already have plans to grow everything from beans to watermelon and possibly get some chickens.  We didn't take pictures so that will have to wait for another post.

So we got the house, we got the baby, now we just need to find a vehicle.  This is a challenge because vehicles are still very expensive, particularly anything with more than 5 seats.  They haven't bought into the mini-van craze in north america, which allows you to buy very cheap mini-vans second hand if needed.  So Shaun is hoping to go out this week and find something.

Have a good week everyone! 

2 comments:

  1. oh I just want to cuddle with Jonas (and also the other l'il ones) ! love them dearly. thanks Brenda for letting us live with you through your blog : *

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your post again and it makes me smile to read your words and look at pics of you all. The lizard tail..ew. wiggling? On it's own? I'd be shrieking and intrigued at the same time. Oh. And I'd love to kiss those twinkly toes from Jonas. Baby feet are precious! Thank you for the update. Can't wait to see pictures of your house! So exciting! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete