Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Counting the Days

Shaun returns home on Friday, which I'm (needless to say) very excited about.  The kids have been quite good, but once or twice I have found myself exasperated at the day's end.  And I'm sure they can hear it in my voice.

Seth has taken his role of being man of the house very seriously, sometimes trying a little too hard to "order" Hazel around.  And he says things exactly how we do....so I know he DOES hear us after all.  Lorene was in our driveway last week to pick something up and Seth was outside playing hockey and they got to talking about how Lorene was staying at her mom's house (instead of in the basement suite).  Lorene told me about this later but apparently Seth turned to her and asked her, "Don't you know that my mom needs company?"

Hazel finally got two of her "two-year-molars" right under the wire before her third birthday.  She also has had a bad cold and ended up with an eye infection, poor girl.  However, because of these things, she has napped probably 6 of the last 9 days.  She hasn't napped for three months, so it has been a nice little break in my day.  And maybe because of that, she hasn't been too grumpy with all those issues going on at the same time.  However, holding her down while putting in eye drops has been an adventure.  It's amazing how squirmy a 26-pound little two-year-old can be.  And then this morning Seth thought it would be funny to jump on me and tickle me while I attempted this.....

Lyla has woken up at around midnight every night but last since Shaun's been gone to say "Hi" to her mommy, which I deeply appreciate.  Yesterday she finally broke a tooth and then last night she slept so I'm hopeful that that's the end of it...although I see the second of the pair coming down now!  And she looks like she's been punched in the eyes, as Hazel's eye infection spread to her now.

Of course, when people ask how the kids are doing, this is the list I come up with, but it really has been great for the most part.  They have become more well-behaved as the week progressed...hopefully that's not because my expectations have fallen drastically...ha ha.

Anyways, I gave Shaun a big list of items to price check in Recife to compare shipping costs to buying costs.  I think shipping stuff from up here is winning out, if we can split a container with someone.

People keep asking when we're going and if we're excited, etc. etc.  Right now we are hoping before next summer.  And yes, we are excited.  I think I'm a bit more hesitant than Shaun thinking about being away from my family and being a bit sad that all the little cousins will be apart for a few years.  Also I don't think I worry about the kids moving there (maybe Seth a little bit) but more for moving back.  But the people of Brazil are so welcoming that I know with a little effort we will enjoy being a part of a vibrant church community.  And like everyone keeps saying to me, "Kids are resilient!"

Shaun and Randy are off to Fortaleza for 2 nights tomorrow and then HOME!!!  It's at a time that the kids and I can pick them up, so perfect!  And now it's off to bed for me.  With Lorene being back here I'm finding it a bit easier to fall asleep early at night :)  Well, that and my glass of wine is helping!

Have a good night everyone!
Brenda

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brenda and Shaun (in Brasil),

    Good to read something how your family is doing. So Shaun have a good trip to Brasil? We are very exciting to the results..I hope that we can go fast to Brasil, because the winter is coming and that will be cold...!

    Greetings from Belgium

    ReplyDelete