Friday, September 24, 2010

The Post in Which My Foot Gets Run Over

I am not lying about it, it happened today in Amsterdam.  It so far just looks a little bruised, which is crazy.  I just can't believe my foot went under a tire, and it isn't broken.  Anyways, here's a few posts from our last days here!  And tomorrow, homeward bound! 

 A Dutch Firetruck

 Elka, Lucas, Lyla and I went on a Spido harbour tour in Rotterdam Harbour yesterday while Shaun and Tony had a meeting in the morning and while they met together for the last time.



 You may be able to tell that I have a little boy who I believe would be interested in these pictures of the machines and boats, etc.


 Police boat from Customs

 Another police boat





Where Tony and Shaun were when we got off the boat

 The first time on the train.  We took it from Rotterdam to our hotel in Amsterdam Zaandam.

 We took the train into Amsterdam this morning and went on Mike's Bike Countryside Tour.  It was highly enjoyable!

 Lyla was great, even falling asleep while we biked.

 The second place we stopped was a touristic windmill.  Very nice photo opportunity.  Here we learned about how originally Holland was peat, then the peat was harvested so much that the land became lakes and swamps, and then the Dutch figured out how to take back the land.  I thought it was fascinating, and at one point in the tour we were five metres below sea level.

 We went to a klompen factory, where this fellow was burning on the designs.  He had bags of klompen behind him and Shaun and I were silly enough to ask him if he got them from a factory.  I think he was a bit insulted, so he directed us into the next room where we could see them made.










After the tour we walked to the Anne Frank House and the Wester Kerk, where you can go up to the top of the bell tower, but the Anne Frank House had a line outside of it, and the Kerk only let 6 people up at a time, and all the tours remaining had 5 people in them.  So instead of waiting, we walked along the street and went out for supper.  Then we took the tram back to Centraal station and off we went, back to the hotel on the train.

 Still smiley after a long day. 

And here`s our hotel.  We have a nice room up on the 10th floor.
And here we are, the last night of our European adventure.  See you all tomorrow(ish)!

2 comments:

  1. Did your foot get run over by a bicycle tire or the firetruck in the first photo? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see I wasn't that clear :) It got ran over by a car while I walked on the side of road.

    ReplyDelete