Thursday, April 26, 2012

Randomness

Seth found a flopping fish, picked it up, and threw it back in the ocean.  When we said that we could have eaten it for supper, he said, "no, I didn't want to eat him, I wanted it for a pet."  Can you imagine his apartment when he grows up?

When Seth caught the fish, Hazel said "I saw its pedals that make it drive!"

Lyla and Hazel, at the supper table, saying "Me-dâ, me-dâ!" which means "give me, give me!" Why do they have to use the words with the least manners?  I guess it's harder to say "Eu gostaria mais, por favor!"

Seth lost his second tooth yesterday.

Lyla has never really spoken much English yet, and now it seems all she's learning is Portuguese.  So far she says "quero agua" (I want water), blah blah blah "gato," (cat, although she refuses to say the word cat and only says "meow" when we point to a cat and ask her what it is), "sapo" for frog, "mamai" and "papai" for mom and dad.

Hazel throws in Portuguese words all the time in her sentences.  For example, "I need to go xixi" (pee), or different colours.

Today I really focused on trying to speak portuguese instead of english to them, and Seth, Hazel, and Lyla all understand me.  Seth is just a bit more self-conscious about actually trying a new language.

Seth told us he wanted to be an entomologist.  We had told him that a friend of ours had an uncle who studied insects and what it was called probably over a week ago.  He says he specifically wants to study caterpillars :)

Speaking about caterpillars, Hazel got "stung" by a caterpillar we think yesterday.  Not one of the big ones I put on the blog earlier, but a small fuzzy one.  She cried for over an hour (it felt like 4).

There's a lot more little adjustments going on, and although I'm sooooo excited to see everyone in 3 weeks, I am sad that it seems like our kids are just adjusting and learning the language and our routine, and now we are leaving.  Seth and Hazel both are talking about how they love Brazil, although Hazel first says she wants to stay in Brazil, then in Canada.  It will be a lot of adjustments back and forth in the next few months.  We are planning to move in with my parents and Uncle Jay, but the plan was for one month.... not sure if that will be the case!  Hopefully they love us enough to put up with us!

Currently it looks like if we can set up our bank account within the next 3 weeks, it will take 35 days from the time we submit our paperwork to the Ministry of Labour to recieve our visas (30 for them to review it, 5 for the consulate in Vancouver to review it).  If that means business days, we may be there until middle of July!  I am a little bit happy about being there for a little of the summer, especially my dad's big sixtieth birthday!  I missed being there for my mom's birthday yesterday and it feels weird to know they are drinking wine without me!  Well, just so you know, we drank a cup here for her!  Happy Birthday again Mom, we love you!

Goodnight all!  We are off to watch a novella (only to learn Portuguese of course!)


No comments:

Post a Comment