Thursday, July 1, 2010

Hob-Nobbing

Shaun and I attended a Canada Day celebration as well as an evening to commemorate the one year anniversary of the Canadian Service and Trade Commission to Brazil in Recife. Shaun received the invite when meeting with Sheila, the woman who runs the office. It was held at the Teatro Santa Isabel, a beautiful old theatre. We had drinks in the foyer, then went upstairs to a smaller room off of the main theatre to listen to a beautiful string quartet for about an hour, and then back downstairs to mingle. Waiters served us multitudes of fingerfoods (most of which we did not recognize), and champagne, and of course the standard Coke and Guarana. We met some very interesting people and had a wonderful time. A special thanks to Karen VS for allowing us to drop our kids off there and letting us sleep over (as Recife is two hours from Maragogi).
Here we are with the Ambassador to Brazil from Canada, Mr. Paul Hunt. He is stationed in Brasilia until September.


This is Susan Larabie, the wife of Charles Larabie, the Consulate General from Canada in Rio de Janeiro. She was very friendly and personable, made us feel comfortable right away, talked a lot about how much she loved Brazil and how it has been her favourite posting because of the people here that are so warm and friendly. This is her husband's second posting in Brazil, the first was in Sao Paulo. She told us we had to see Rio when we were in Brazil and invited us to visit her there.

The ladies from the office that are helping Shaun out, with Mr. Paul Hunt and Mr. Charles Larabie.

After sleeping over at the Van Spronsens we spent the day at Aldeia with the Wieskes and VanSpronsens celebrating Canada Day. We all wore Canada shirts and played games and had lunch, followed by a Maple Leaf decorated cake. Then we lit of a couple of our own Bombas in keeping with the Brazilian culture. We have a few left over for the futebal game tomorrow that we will light from our upstairs balcony when ...?.... scores. Should be fun watching the Dutch vs. Brazil! Enjoy the game everyone :)

2 comments:

  1. The evening before we left for Recife I got a manicure and pedicure...for R$14. And then in the morning I got my hair done for R$30. It was really interesting because she curled my hair without using rollers, just her fingers and pins. Pretty impressive. And, maybe I imagined it, but I think my hair actually looked better than in these pictures. Or maybe it was just my vanity telling me that ha ha! Anyways it was fun to dress up and thinking what that would cost in Canada is crazy. I just wouldn't be doing it there. Although my hairdryer would work there. Here, even going through some adjustor/adaptor thingy it almost lights on fire :) I don't dare try my hair straightener in case it wrecks it. And something funny about getting my hair curled...they all thought it was weird (or that is the impression I got) because many people here have curly hair and it is a big thing here to get your hair straightened with a brush and hairdryer technique (they have hairdryers with less wattage obviously!). In fact, someone told me it has been featured on Oprah, because Brazil started it. Someone got it done while I was sitting there actually. And something else I'm going to look into: the cost of massages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks awesome. who are you cheering for?

    ReplyDelete