Sunday, July 18, 2010

Picture That

Enjoying our North American company

Maragogi church had a communal lunch today, which they usually do once a month after Lord's Supper.  This month they waited until Pastor Pedro and his wife were in town. He is a former missionary here from Holland, and is back for the 30th anniversary of Maragogi church, which we will celebrate this coming Friday.

Thacianne and her son João.


Notice that I am at the front of the line. They insisted...

While we were having lunch, a parade for a political compaign of the state governor (we think) went by. Hundreds of people (Shaun thinks even up to one thousand) went by playing music and lighting minutes worth of straight fireworks. So loud we couldn't talk at times. The election is in October. These vans are starting to go around town campaigning with loudspeakers off the top and constant talking.

Can you find our little Brazilian?

Bel's son, Edjackson. He plays futebal with Seth and Seth loves him. Yesterday we walked to Bel's house and she told us he was on the beach playing soccer, and he went to every group looking for him and was very sad he could not find him. Okay fine, he had a temper tantrum. But I am thankful that he feels like he has a friend, and at church he's starting to play with all the little boys and do a lot better. All a boy needs is one friend and he is happy.

Our first barata...looks smaller in the picture, believe me!

Bel's daughter, Elizabete, loves babies. Very Convenient :)

Everyone drawing/colouring.

Bel's daughter, Wedja (oo-wed-I-ja). such a cutie!

Here's my chubster! I am still hoping to get her weighed at the public health unit here, because I'm convinced she's gained 5 lbs. Literally.

Shaun's first attempt at futebal with the guys. Right outside my window so I could spy on him. Apparently they said "we thought you couldn't play." Not sure if they were trying to be nice or not.

Everyone here tells me that Lyla looks exactly like Shaun and the other two are more like me. Personally I can`t tell, maybe because I`m so close to them. They are sure cute though! Lyla`s doing fabulous here, finally in a fairly consistent routine and sleeping well through the night, well, from 7 to 4 or 5 usually, and then back to sleep for a couple hours. Still not quite long enough for me but I love that I can put her down at 7 and know that that is it for the night. Hazel is just happy wherever. Yesterday we were walking in Maragogi and this lady I have never met yelled "Oi Hazel!" Everyone who meets her recognizes her that's for sure. And she just waved back and yelled "Oi" before she continued to skip down the street.

This is a property we are looking at for the business. It is 22 hectares and in Peroba, a small suburb between Sao Jose and Maragogi. Sao Jose is in a state called Pernumbuco, and Maragogi (and Peroba) (where we live right now) is in a state called Alagoas. Part of Shaun's research is figuring out which states offer better tax incentives and benefits for business. This week he plans to go to Recife on Wednesday and Maceio on Thursday to find out exactly what incentives either state can offer. The property is in Alagoas, but so far it looks like Pernumbuco offers better incentives and tax breaks, so we have to find out if it is still worth it to buy a property in Alagoas. This property is across the street from the nicest hotel in the area, which would provide some security, and Peroba is also a town that is growing in regards to tourism and residents because of its beautiful beach (nicer than Maragogi). Other great features of this property is that it has a spring with good water and it is flat.

Well I'm off to take a shower! We lost water again this afternoon (3rd time this week!) and we think it is because our washing machine is extremely inconvenient. But it is back now and I have probably 4 layers of sweat on me. Here the pattern is to sweat, dry off, then add another layer of sweat, then dry, then another, then dry....you get the picture. It feels like you should be able to peel off sweat at the end of the night.

So last week my goal was to move on to past and future tenses with Portuguese and review my present tenses. Somehow it is the same goal this week. I did progress a bit more with some verbs I didn't know in the present tense, but did not make it to the other tenses. I did pay more attention this week when people were talking to me in regards to what tense they were using and how they were using it, so hopefully I recognize it when I get to it. But Shaun and I were talking this week and saying how much we were enjoying learning a new language. I'm just hopeful we will remember some of what we learn when we come again.

Well everyone, have a good week!
Brenda and family 


2 comments:

  1. I love when you post lots of pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brenda for posting all those pictures. A picture sure is worth a thousand words : )

    ReplyDelete